Taking care of your teeth while undergoing orthodontic treatment is just as important as caring for your smile after orthodontic treatment. Our team at Flower Mound Orthodontics offers personalized care for patients of all ages. During your periodic checkups, we will examine your smile and make any recommendations for maintaining a healthy, stable smile.
Oral Hygiene With Braces
Brushing and flossing with braces can be a challenging task. However, our dental care team can educate you on the proper and most efficient ways to keep your braces clean and free of debris. Your daily oral hygiene routine will depend on the type of braces being used. In many cases, we will recommend cleaning your teeth more often because patients with braces typically have a higher chance of developing plaque and tartar buildup on their teeth.
To help improve your oral hygiene routine with braces, we may recommend the following products:
- Toothpaste with fluoride – Using fluoride is very important while wearing braces. Fluoride is a natural element that helps prevent tooth decay.
- Interdental toothbrush – Plaque can easily build up around the hold, wires and braces. We recommend an interdental toothbrush to help reach small spaces to remove food, debris and plaque to avoid decay.
- Antibacterial rinses or mouthwash – This is a necessary step in your oral hygiene routine while wearing braces. It will help clean your teeth thoroughly to prevent decay and gum disease.
- Dental floss picks – This tool will help keep your braces free of debris especially when food is stuck in there.
- Electric Toothbrush – An electric toothbrush has been proven to clean teeth better than a regular toothbrush. If you have braces, this is a vital tooth to remove as much built-up plaque and tartar in between your regular checkups.
Taking care of your teeth while undergoing orthodontic treatment can impact their health and appearance once your treatment ends. It is important to perform a proper oral hygiene routine throughout your orthodontic treatment to avoid future complications. Our team encourages our patients to visit their dentist every six months for a professional cleaning and routine dental exam. These visits are designed to identify any early signs of tooth decay, gum disease, and other complex dental problems.
Oral Hygiene With Invisalign
Performing your oral hygiene while undergoing Invisalign treatment is no different than your oral hygiene routine without braces. Patients with Invisalign can remove their aligners to perform their daily oral hygiene routine. In many cases, patients are able to brush, floss, and rinse their teeth without restriction.
Learn More About Caring For Your Smile
Flower Mound Orthodontics cares about our patients, and we work with them on an individual basis to deliver the care they need. If you would like to learn more about how to care for your smile with braces, visit Dr. Sankey and our team at Flower Mound Orthodontics. We offer a full range of patients education resources to give our patients the tools and knowledge they need to improve their smile. To schedule an appointment, call 972.833.8212 or request an appointment online.