Taking care of your teeth while undergoing orthodontic treatment is just as important as caring for your smile after orthodontic treatment. Our team at Flower Mound Orthodontics offers personalized care for patients of all ages. During your periodic checkups, we will examine your smile and make any recommendations for maintaining a healthy, stable smile. We also offer a range of orthodontic services to the public in Flower Mound, TX.
Oral Hygiene With Braces
Brushing and flossing with braces can be a challenging task. However, our dental care team can educate you on the proper and most efficient ways to keep your braces clean and free of debris. It is crucial that you maintain your oral care regimen while undergoing orthodontic treatment. Your daily oral hygiene routine will depend on the type of braces being used. In many cases, we will recommend cleaning your teeth more often because patients with braces typically have a higher chance of developing plaque and tartar buildup on their teeth.
To help improve your oral hygiene routine with braces, we may recommend the following products:
- Toothpaste with fluoride – Using fluoride is very important while wearing braces. Fluoride is a natural element that helps prevent tooth decay.
- Interdental toothbrush – Plaque can easily build up around the hold, wires, and braces. We recommend an interdental toothbrush to help reach small spaces to remove food, debris, and plaque to avoid decay.
- Antibacterial rinses or mouthwash – This is a necessary step in your oral hygiene routine while wearing braces. It will help clean your teeth thoroughly to prevent decay and gum disease. It will also help kill bacteria that are stuck between brackets and wires.
- Dental floss picks – This tool will help keep your braces free of debris especially when food is stuck in there. If you feel that food is stuck in an area that is difficult to reach using your toothbrush, dental flossers are a great solution to this issue. They can help reach areas that are otherwise difficult to clean.
- Electric Toothbrush – An electric toothbrush has been proven to clean teeth better than a regular toothbrush. If you have braces, this is a vital tool to remove as much built-up plaque and tartar in between your regular checkups.
Taking care of your teeth while undergoing orthodontic treatment can impact their health and appearance once your treatment ends. It is important to perform a proper oral hygiene routine throughout your orthodontic treatment to avoid future complications. Our team encourages our patients to visit their dentist every six months for a professional cleaning and routine dental exam. These visits are designed to identify any early signs of tooth decay, gum disease, and other complex dental problems.
Oral Hygiene With Invisalign
Performing your oral hygiene while undergoing Invisalign treatment is no different than your oral hygiene routine without braces. Patients with Invisalign can remove their aligners which makes it easy to perform their daily oral hygiene routine. In many cases, patients are able to brush, floss, and rinse their teeth without restriction. It is easier to maintain your oral care with Invisalign, however, it is crucial that patients keep up with their oral hygiene to get the best results from treatment.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you have further questions about how to maintain oral hygiene whilst undergoing orthodontic treatment with braces? Continue reading to find answers to questions that are commonly asked in our office.
What can I be doing to care for my teeth with braces?
Patients undergoing treatment with braces are at a higher risk for plaque buildup and cavities. Being careful of what you eat is one of the best ways to care for your teeth with braces. Patients are discouraged from eating corn on the cob, chewy candy, ice, gum, and popcorn because they are prone to get caught in the brackets and can cause damage. Another way to care for your teeth with braces is to always be sure to floss and brush your teeth after eating.
How should you floss your teeth with braces?
Flossing your teeth with braces can be difficult maneuvering around wires and brackets. The floss must be threaded underneath the wire and between each pair of teeth. Your dentist can give you a floss threader which works like threading a needle to push the floss underneath the wire.
Is an electric toothbrush good for brushing with braces?
Many patients upgrade to an electric toothbrush with braces. Electric toothbrushes are known to be much more effective for cleaning the surface of teeth than regular toothbrushes. The extra motion in an electric toothbrush removes plaque and helps prevent staining.
Learn More About Caring For Your Smile
Flower Mound Orthodontics cares about our patients. We work with you on an individual basis to deliver the care you need correctly the first time. If you would like to learn more about how to care for your smile with braces, visit Dr. Sankey and our team at Flower Mound Orthodontics. We offer a range of patient education resources to give our patients the tools and knowledge they need to improve their smiles. Call our orthodontist near you at 972.833.8212 or request an appointment online.